Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Event: Tight Spot Reception



Starting September 15, underneath the New York City High Line the outdoor installation Tight Spot will be exhibited by The Pace Gallery. The installation features “a 48-by-20-foot inflatable terrestrial globe” pinned and crushed by the High Line. The installation will be open from September 16 through October 1, 2011 at 508 West 25th Street in New York City, after which I imagine it will be too damn cold outside for anyone to care one way or the other. The inaugural public reception will be held September 15, 2011 between 6 and 8 PM.
A low-frequency vibration will emanate from speakers placed deep within the globe. The sound is meant to be heard from the surrounding streets and elevated park, enticing passersby to discover the installation. “I knew what I thought that sound should be, and rather than using instruments, synthesizers or samplers to make the sounds that I imagined, I simply made them with my voice,” said Byrne. “It was the easiest and fastest way of creating what I was hearing in my head. I filtered and processed my voice so that it wasn’t recognizable.”

Source: New York Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...